1. Taylor and I went to see Once and it was just perfect for many reasons. We got a little dolled up (I tried the beachy waves, which ended up driving me bonkers), ate some Gusto, hit the show, got on stage with the performers because you totally can, and then hit up downtown afterwards with some friends.
2. I signed up and interviewed to become a “Big Sister” through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Iowa late last year. I wasn’t very picky about who my little would be, other than requesting she live in one of the three neighborhoods I do my community building work in. The team at BBBSCI worked hard to find the right match and I finally met her and her family Tuesday evening! Lizette is a nine-year-old girl in third grade and I get to hang out with her a couple times a month. She was so excited as she has four brothers and no sisterly figures in her life. Monday we are getting ice cream and doing some icebreaker questions and hopefully making a bucket list of fun summer activities we can do together! Man, I am so thankful this worked out.
3. Thanks to all the reading of The Des Moines Register that I do, I read a story about Cycle Down Dawg studio opening in West Des Moines. It incorporates yoga, spin and TRX, which I think is just stellar. It’s a long-term goal to open my own cycling studio in Des Moines, so I went to check it out for their free week trial. If I a) had more time b) had more money and c) lived closer, I would definitely consider going there once or twice a week. Love me a good spin class (especially with the crazy disco lights and loud music).
4. Thursday evening I was back at the Des Moines Social Club to watch Growing Cities, a documentary about urban farming in America. There was a panel discussion and an opportunity to network and get plugged into gardens that exist in the metro. As a newbie to community gardening, this was definitely a boost of encouragement and inspiration as I navigate all the “hows” of making this happen on the east side. How is this sustainable? How many people will use this? How will this be taken care of?
5. It’s official. 100%. I am signing up to become a certified yoga instructor through Power Life Yoga! Training begins in July and it’s an “intensive” which means nice knowin’ ya, I’m out for about a month learning how to get my ohm on. This is something I’ve had on my bucket list for a long time. Yoga has helped me in so many ways I can’t even begin to list. If I have the ability to help someone feel empowered, centered, strong, peaceful, whatever, sign me up.
Subscribe for a dose of mindfulness before you head into the week.