1. If you live in Des Moines and haven’t been to Mixology at the Science Center of Iowa, well, you should probably get going on that. Here is a link with their monthly schedules. The only times I ever went there before happened to be with children. Last Friday I had a “Grasshopper Martini” or something and although it was essentially dessert (before dinner), it just made the Science Center all the better to peruse! Especially with good company.
2. Have you heard of the Ban Bossy campaign going? I love this stuff.
“How are we supposed to level the playing field for girls and women if we discourage the very traits that get them there?…Calling a girl ‘bossy’ not only undermines her ability to see herself as a leader, but it also influences how others treat her.” – Sheryl Sandberg
3. My lovely friend Beth took me with her to see Buckwheat Zydeco. Much like last time I went to the Temple of Performing Arts, I had no idea what I was going to see. This band had me smiling and clapping and swaying. Bring out an accordion and rock the shiznit out of the organ and I’m overly intrigued. I mean, how are these people so amazing? I need to brush up on my piano skills and get recruited to join them.
4. Planning is in full swing for a youth event I am taking the lead on at a Des Moines Public School on the east side. We are recruiting 50 volunteers, giving 25 groups of 25 students (yes, 625) a chance to give back to their community and school. This complex day of events (gardening, setting up soccer field, writing letters to troops, painting a mural) is only leading to bigger things like a youth leadership initiative and a youth volunteer corps that I am also heading up. So much of my job ebbs and flows as we determine the greatest needs of our neighborhoods. This hits home because I realize how imperative middle school is as I was (and you too I’m guessing) so impressionable. The event is on May 16 and I will obviously be putting a link on Facebook if you so choose to spend your time helping this come to fruition.
5. Finally, did you know that in the “Browse” section of Spotify they offer tons of different playlists? I think one that’s so obviously worth mentioning is called Songs to sing in the shower. I can’t think of better songs to add! I also found Drops of Jupiter by T-Swift and hope that someday I can sing this on a stage, with a piano. #Dreaming
Subscribe for a dose of mindfulness before you head into the week.