I’ve been in DC since Saturday, so this post is almost entirely related to the fabulous trip I’m on.
1. My beautiful friend, Bess hosted me at her place Saturday and then we crashed our friend’s holiday party. Kidding, we were obviously invited, along with the majority of Senator Harkin’s staff. 😉 I have never seen so many men so passionate about Taylor Swift. It obviously made my entire
day life. Here we are, reunited.
2. My coworkers and I have made a point to eat diverse foods wherever we go. Ethiopian was about as crazy as it got, but we enjoyed soul food, pizza, several different local beers, Cuban and some local restaurants. I’ve easily gained five pounds and don’t care. Here is Matt & myself loving our Ethiopian experience with a veggie plate.
3. So I’m at a NeighborWorks training, which is fancy for saying I’m learning about how to be better at neighborhood revitalization, community building and community development. I want to give nod to an organization that completely blew my mind. We did a tour of a facility/organization called Dance Place and the passion the founder has for her career is energizing. She has a theater, artist lofts, a dance studio, gallery for local artists and who even knows what else. She has engrained her nonprofit into the fabric of the neighborhood & acts as a bridge for bringing families together and experiencing culture. It’s evident that all of her time, energy, finances and passion directly flow into this company and my favorite quote she said: “I am not afraid to surround myself with the best.” Boom. Thanks Carla.
4. A thought I was left with at a symposium I attended: When it comes to health, your zip code is more important than your genetic code. Yeah? Yeah.
5. Let’s keep things a little lighter with number five. My mom got me cable. I can now watch HGTV whenever I want. If there was any hope of me having time to be productive, it just vanished.