1. Friday we officially launched our coalition to revitalize three key neighborhoods in Des Moines. The kickoff was filled with our community’s leaders, residents from the neighborhoods and agencies who are committed to making lives, homes and places even better. Attendance was somewhere around 50-60 individuals, so I was riding high into the weekend needless to say. Here’s our project management team below. We so fancy.
2. Saturday morning I spent time volunteering at Graduation Walk, a one-day project where you walk door to door to student’s homes who are under-credited or recently dropped out. Our goal was to talk to them and encourage them to stay on track or come back to high school. Powerful stuff.
3. Urban Ambassadors hosted a Friendraiser, which I got to be a part of planning (to a very small degree). I love the people, the potluck was amazing, the awards given were very meaningful and I think everyone left filled up inside in a variety of ways. 🙂 Congratulations to my friend Beth who won “Project of the Year” for her Tour de Cluck ride this May. Here’s our planning team below.
4. So, I obviously am in <3 with Des Moines. I’m always keeping up on things happening and exploring as much as possible. Well, it was about time on Sunday afternoon to get myself on my bicycle because it had been too long and then explore a trail I had never been on. So low and behold, I took the trail on MLK to see the new development and hit up the Neal Smith trail to explore north Des Moines. I have been such a Great Western & Green Belt junkie, so this was a nice change of pace. So many beautiful homes and nature surrounds so much of the trail as well.
5. No big deal or anything, but my best friend is leaving for Scotland on Tuesday. We celebrated post-work at Malo and had some much-needed laugh time. I left work flustered because I was like my to-do list won’t stop growing and I shouldn’t even go to this dinner thing. Blah Blah Blahhhhh. But I went, I forgot about that list and had a blast talking about old email names from our teen years.
It’s finally time to hop on a plane for NYC with the chica in the red scarf above. Stay posted through Instagram @emilyboyd12 and see what we’re up to over the next few days.