1. My friend Beth and I toured a neighborhood in St. Louis called Old North last weekend. We did a road trip from Iowa and had a roundtable discussion with neighborhood leaders. I left with more concrete visions. One of them that I really need to start tackling is an east-side farmers market for summer 2014. My favorite meal in STL was tapas at Modesto. I don’t even know how many samples we had, but I’ve decided it’s a great way to eat and get a ton of variety. I would like to go back soon and visit The Galleria so I can die a little inside the walls of West Elm and Anthropologie. Dear wallet, please grow fatter…faster. Here’s one of my favorite restrooms.
2. A very important thing happened on Monday. My hair was colored, rinsed, combed, dried and styled in exactly two hours. I wish I was kidding when I say that a year ago, we were lucky if it was under four hours. I have a fantastic stylist and am happy to make recommendations if you need one.
3. On Thursday, I interviewed to be a Big Sis through Big Brothers Big Sisters in Des Moines. The mentors in my life I am forever indebted to because they really helped mold me into the lady I am today. No doubt about it, I was the most impressionable girl on the planet. I had some underlying values and beliefs, but I solidified those and learned so much because someone wanted to hang out with me. It’s not that hard to be that to someone else, consistently.
4. It’s Friday and on my schedule is a tour of an apartment complex I desperately want to move into come January. Solid oak barn doors, washer and dryer, dishwasher, underground (heated) parking, hot tub, pool, so forth. My sushi budget may decrease but I will survive. And be the happiest person if this actually works out in my favor. Putting on my pretty lipstick and happy smile all day.
5. Am I the only one who feels this way, too?
“I’m a paradox. I want to be happy, but I think of things that make me sad. I’m lazy, yet I’m ambitious. I don’t like myself, but I also love who I am. I say I don’t care, but I really do. I crave attention, but reject it when it comes my way. I’m a conflicted contradiction. If I can’t figure myself out, there’s no way anyone else has.”
Time to celebrate a gal pal’s birthday and host a lovely man for the next few days.