1. It’s Friday, so listen to this song and dance it out with the steel pan. I miss being a percussionist. I just had to spellcheck percussionist. Ugh.
2. Reading articles in The Des Moines Register this week amped my excitement yet again for this city and my job, especially reading this article. Aside from that, thousands of homeowners are receiving smoke alarms (at no cost), a new facility is being built for homeless mothers and neighborhood planning is going really strong in the three neighborhoods I’m working in. As of Thursday, I created an outline of a neighborhood holiday party we are hosting on the east side. My job freakin’ rocks. And so do you, Des Moines. Hugs.
3. If you live in this city, you have to go to Ephemera and buy their Frasier Fir candle. It’s absolutely my favorite. And could soon be yours.
4. Can we all appreciate my mom’s awesomeness? She stopped by randomly and set this up for me on my stairs. And I love it.
5. I’m still figuring out how to deal with random people treating me poorly. Example one: After a meeting this week, I felt like I wasn’t being taken seriously by a (let’s say) 45-year-old man. Of course I overanalyzed the whole situation and determined it’s because I’m young and I’m a girl (which is probably false, but maybe not). After I vented about it and let myself be ticked off, I felt empowered to prove that 20-somethings can be game changers. Haters gonna hate.